CHERRY HILL, N.J., July 13, 2021 -- TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®, has been recognized with the top score of 100 percent for the seventh consecutive year on the 2021 Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a national benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices related to disability inclusion and workplace equality.
The Disability Equality Index (DEI) was first launched in 2015 by Disability:IN and The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and is acknowledged today as the most robust disability inclusion assessment tool in business. The Disability Equality Index (DEI) is a comprehensive benchmarking tool for the Fortune 1000 and Am Law 200 to measure disability workplace inclusion against competitors. TD is proud to have been acknowledged among top-scoring businesses -- scoring 80% or higher –as a "Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion" since DEI's inception.
"This recognition reflects our ongoing commitment to fostering an inclusive culture that enables people of all abilities and backgrounds to achieve their own unique success," said Chris Giamo, Executive Sponsor of Individuals with Diverse Abilities and Head of Commercial Bank. "At TD, we also understand that our success in serving our customers and communities depends on the passion, talent and unique perspective of our diverse workforce which includes individuals with visible and non-visible disabilities."
Following the global pandemic in 2021, the DEI was modernized to add new non-weighted questions about innovative technology to advance digital and remote accessibility; mental wellness benefits; services for deaf and hard of hearing employees, and flexible work options. This year's DEI measured: Culture & Leadership; Enterprise-Wide Access; Employment Practices (Benefits, Recruitment, Employment, Education, Retention & Advancement, Accommodations); Community Engagement; Supplier Diversity; Non-U.S. Operations (Non-Weighted).
"We are so pleased to partner with 319 companies this year on the Disability Equality Index," said Jill Houghton, President & Chief Executive Officer, Disability:IN. "Part of corporate commitment to disability inclusion is recognizing your stance and using it as an 'aha moment' to drive the business investments needed to scale change. Inclusion and accessibility cuts across the enterprise, from cultural representation in the workforce, to technology acceleration, to incorporating supply chain diversity. These are tangible opportunities that leading companies can leverage to create sustainable impact for their business and brand."
Being Intentional About Inclusion:
- TD Bank is in its third year serving as a host employer for Project SEARCH, a national program that helps adult students with intellectual and developmental disabilities transition into the workplace. The one-year program provides classroom instruction, career exploration and job skills training through three 10-week internship rotations.
- TD also partners with Specialisterne, a hiring program, to increase representation of individuals on the spectrum. Specialisterne is a globally recognized, award-winning, social enterprise harnessing the available skills of autistic people, and matching them with businesses who gain a competitive advantage hiring from this untapped talent.
- In 2020, TD launched two new disability inclusion training programs for all Colleagues: "TD Culture: Inclusion, Accommodation and Accessibility" and "Supporting Customers with Disabilities."
- TD also became a signatory on the Joint Investor Statement on Corporate Disability Inclusion
in 2020, which includes urging all businesses to become more inclusive workplaces by hiring and supporting people with disabilities.
- On a related matter, in July 2020, Greg Braca, President and CEO, TD Bank, N.A., signed a joint letter along with CEOs of other major brands including Accenture, E&Y, Intel, Microsoft and Walmart, encouraging businesses not registered in the DEI to do so in a public expression of support of disability inclusion.
- Most recently, TD Bank was recognized by DiversityInc as a Top Company for Diversity in 2021. DiversityInc also ranked TD Bank No. 3 on its specialty list for Top Companies for People with Disabilities (PwD).
About the Disability Equality Index®
The Disability Equality Index (DEI) is a comprehensive benchmarking tool that helps companies build a roadmap of measurable, tangible actions that they can take to achieve disability inclusion and equality. Each company receives a score, on a scale of zero (0) to 100, with those earning 80 and above recognized as a “Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion.”
The DEI is a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), the nation’s largest disability rights organization, and Disability:IN, the global business disability inclusion network, to collectively advance the inclusion of people with disabilities. The organizations are complementary and bring unique strengths that make the project relevant and credible to corporations and the disability community. The tool was developed by the DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse group of business leaders, policy experts, and disability advocates. Learn more at: www.DisabilityEqualityIndex.org.
About the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
AAPD is a convener, connector, and catalyst for change, increasing the political and economic power for people with disabilities. As a national cross-disability rights organization AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the 50+ million Americans with disabilities. Learn more at: www.aapd.com.
Disability:IN is a global organization driving disability inclusion and equality in business. More than 270 corporations trust Disability:IN to activate and achieve disability inclusion across their enterprise and in the broader corporate mainstream. Through the world’s most comprehensive disability inclusion benchmarking; best-in-class conferences and programs; and expert counsel and engagement, Disability:IN works with leading businesses to create long-term business and societal impact. Join us at disabilityin.org/AreYouIN #AreYouIN.
About TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 9.5 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at more than 1,220 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth®, and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.td.com/us. Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US and www.twitter.com/TDNews_US.
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol "TD". To learn more, visit www.td.com/us.
TD Media Contact
Corporate Communications Manager